Have you heard the news? As of October, Shopify’s Global ERP program made waves in the industry. In this article, we are going to summarize what this means for e-commerce businesses and why Shopify merchants should be excited.
What is ERP?
To understand the Shopify Global Program, it is necessary to first define an ERP program. The ERP (Enterprise Resource Planner) system acts as the gatekeeper of a business’s most critical data by supporting its supply chains. It includes:
- Orders and transactions of the customer
- In manufacturing – as a resource planner and production scheduler.
- Procurement – to acquire resources for manufacturing
- Fulfillment/Logistics – communicating with the company’s order management system and potentially third parties.
- Acting as a data manager and item master in some instances
- As the centralized accounting and reporting tool for the finance team.
- It is the responsibility of human resources to manage all aspects of human capital in the enterprise, including performance, compensation, and expenses.
Before Shopify launched this program
Previously, merchants had two options when connecting their ERP to Shopify.
Option 1. We could have used one of the well-known back-end middleware providers like Mulesoft, Celigo, or Boomi. Merchants can choose from these providers, which offer immediate services and integration between multiple back-end systems with minimum development required. Shopify Global ERP is similar to this option But using a partner such as Mulesoft might work better if you need to customize the integration to fit a broader range of purposes.
Option 2. The second option requires an integration partner who’ll be able to build a custom middleware between Shopify and the ERP/OMS, controlling communication between the two systems. Since it is a more customized solution, it supports most users.
This option, however, also requires the most time and resources
E-commerce companies need ERP, but why?
An ERP system can provide several benefits to e-commerce businesses. Ecommerce businesses operate quickly and at a high volume, so a dedicated solution equipped with automation features and financial connections can have a huge impact.
- Integrating an ERP system with an e-commerce platform is one of the main benefits for e-commerce companies. It may be difficult to keep sales data organised, especially when it comes from different platforms. Therefore, ERPs merge information to increase efficiency in insight development.
- ERP programs increase operational productivity by automating workflows and connecting various departments.
- ERP programs also automate the tracking and notification of shipments. When your company streamlines these processes, you can leave a better impression on your customers.
- ERP programs make insight easier to see & simplifying it into a graphical format enables companies to identify barriers and make operational decisions faster.
Popular ERP options
The knowledge that you need for an ERP system is one thing, but selecting the right one is another. The top ERP options are all gathered here, so you can see what they offer.
An ERP system such as Oracle’s is also well known. In addition to providing a database management system for a wide variety of industries the company is a leader in the cloud computing field. It is designed for medium, large, and global businesses.
The software programs of IFS are known for their coordination and flexibility. IFS can handle difficult, service-oriented solutions for your business. Their software is designed to be both user-friendly and powerful as consumer preferences.
One of the largest and most widely used accounting and enterprise software companies in the world is Sage. The company has been providing ERP services since 1981 for all types of businesses. Its biggest strengths are payroll, eCommerce accounting, eCommerce payment systems, and financial analytics tools.
Since 1957, Epicor has been building business and eCommerce software for multiple industries. Their systems integrate different processes for lasting success in manufacturing, distribution, and retail. Whatever the stage of your business, Epicor is a good option to consider.
Over the years, many businesses have recognized the importance of the supply chain, whether it is ensuring sustainability, social compliance, or meeting high demands.
Integrating your Shopify website with the Shopify ERP system is the first step in making the right business decisions. Businesses can get real-time insights with Shopify’s Global ERP program to solve problems faster, work smarter, and perform better.